Tooth Colored Fillings
Tooth colored dental fillings are made to closely match the natural color of one’s teeth. They are used to restore the structure of decayed or fractured teeth, and also to enhance the aesthetic appearance of teeth that need correction in shape, size or color. Apart from this, tooth colored fillings also help in repairing chipped teeth and teeth with gaps.
Tooth colored fillings are generally made using composite resin. They are chemically bonded to the teeth and therefore do not require the application area to be numbed, unless the tooth has decayed below the enamel. Any decay is removed and the tooth is thoroughly cleaned. After that, a primer is applied to open the pores in the dentin and enamel. A binding agent is flown through the open pores and cured to allow it to adhere to the tooth. The filling is shaped like the natural tooth and hardened with a curing light. Dr. Papadakis and Dr. Gonzalez will check your bite to ensure that teeth fit properly after installation of the filling material.
Tooth colored fillings have a number of advantages over traditional fillings:
- They closely match the appearance and color of one’s natural teeth.
- They harden in seconds instead of days as in case of other fillings.
- They may be used on back and front teeth without compromising on the aesthetics.
- They are chemically bonded to the tooth structure and therefore do not require any pins, grooves or slots, grooves or pins to be placed in the healthy tooth structure.
- They cause minimal tooth sensitivity.
- They can be easily repaired if they get damaged.
Looking for a natural way to restore the look and function of decayed or damaged teeth? Contact Papadakis & Gonzalez DDS for an appointment for tooth-colored fillings. Call our clinic in NYC at: (212) 689-7199.