Mouthguards for Adults
Some people have the habit of clenching and grinding their teeth, especially while they are asleep. The medical term for this condition is bruxism. This habit could become a cause of major headaches and in extreme cases, could lead to tooth fracture, tooth wear and damage to the jawbone.
A dental mouthguard is worn by people suffering from bruxism and also by those who play contact sports, in order to avoid damage and injury to the teeth. The device fits over the teeth and absorbs the force and pressure caused by impact.
A variety of mouthguards are available in the market:
- Over The Counter Mouthguards: These come in small, medium and large sizes and can be bought at sports stores. They are worn by clenching them in between the teeth. Since they are made using standard sizes, they may not fit everyone comfortably and could cause irritation and difficulty while playing sports or sleeping.
- Moldable (Boil and Bite) Mouthguards: These are also available at sports stores. They can be softened by heat and then made to fit with the help of your fingers, teeth and tongue.
- Custom Mouthguards: These are the best and most comfortable type of dental mouthguards. They are custom made by taking a mold of your teeth and then sending it to a dental lab where the protective gear is fabricated according to your fit. These are lightweight, comfortable and strong.
Caring For Your Mouthguard
Like any other piece of dental equipment, mouthguards need to be kept clean and replaced from time to time. Below are a few tips to take care of your mouthguard:
- Store the mouthguard in a protective case.
- Gently scrub the mouthguard using a toothbrush and toothpaste after each use.
- Do not leave your mouthguard in hot places or hot water; heat may cause it to deform.
- Do no chew on or cut pieces off of your mouthguard.
- Replace your mouthguard if it is worn or doesn’t fit anymore.
- Do not wear a retainer with your mouthguard. If you wear braces, your dentist will design your mouthguard accordingly.
For High-Quality custom mouthguards that offer full protection to your teeth, contact Papadakis & Gonzalez DDS. Call us at: